Cinco de mayo is here hackers, and we are soo pumped! Why?? Cause we are hacking are Birria tacos! And of course because there’s beer and/or tequila on the horizon. In gastronomic terms, the word birria means: “Exquisite savory dish, full of culture and tradition.” Birria is currently one of the top food trends in 2021 and it has been amongst hot trends since the beginning of 2020. I must admit that this recipe is not your standard, chop, and go (well none of our recipes are lol) … For this recipe we also suggest grabbing your beauty and the broth beef broth as it will make a world of a difference vs regular beef stocks you buy at the supermarkets. And do not worry, our birria recipe is not 4 hours… just grab your pressure cooker and meet me in the kitchen!
Boneless Short Ribs- 3#
Unhackable, Spice Hack- 1 small bottle
Olive oil- 1/2C
Onion, Chopped- 2ea
Garlic, Smashed- 5ea
Ancho Pepper, Seeds removed- 3ea
Guajillo Pepper, Seeds removed- 3ea
Chile de Arbol, Seeds removed- 6ea
Pasilla Pepper, Seeds removed- 3ea
Bay leaf, whole- 3ea
Cloves, whole- 5ea
Cinnamon Stick, whole- 1ea
Roma Tomatoes, quarter cut- 3ea
Chipotle Peppers, can- 2ea peppers + 1TBL of the liquid (not 2 cans)
Chopped Cilantro- 1 bunch
Apple Cider Vinegar0 1/2C
Beauty and the broth beef broth- 2 packs
Water- as needed
Salt- to taste
Border or Spice Hack for Garnish!
- Season oxtail, brisket, and short ribs with salt and unhackable.
- Add oil to pressure cooker, sear meat until golden brown, then reserve / remove.
- Add a little more oil, onion, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon sticks and cook until onions are translucent, and the peppers looked caramelized.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes to release some of the moisture from the tomatoes.
- Add chipotle peppers and cilantro, cook for 1 minute.
- Bring back the meat to the pressure cooker and mix with the veggies.
- Deglaze with apple cider vinegar and cook down for 1 minute (pot should be very hot)
- Add beauty and the broth beef broth.
- Add water (the liquid level should cover all ingredients, up to 1 inch above them)
- Set pressure cooker to cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, release pressure from the cooker and remove the meat.
- While shredding the meat, keep the pressure cooker running and reduce the liquid for about 10m to get a more intense flavor.
- Add the meat back to the liquid and get the tortillas!!
- Go to our IG stories and check out how to assemble / cook the tacos!